Let’s say that you’ve used our software and now you have a killer Google rating – lots of reviews and a five star rating – but the profile still isn’t ranking prominently in Google’s search results, so you’re not getting many calls as a result.
Here are ten things you can do to get your profile popping in the search results:
- Get more citations – A citation is basically a spot on the Internet that lists your company name, address, phone number, website, etc. Acquire more citations across the web on various directories. A great, high authority citation you can get is a BBB listing. Sign up for all of the other directories out there like YP.com, MerchantCircle, Manta, etc.
- Citation consistency – Name/ Address/ Phone Number consistency (sometimes referred to as “NAP consistency”) is a factor in Google’s algorithm. Let’s say that your company changed office locations at some point and some of your website profiles list the old address. That won’t help you rank highly in the maps results. Get those updated.
- Make sure you’re listed in the correct category – For many companies, this will be obvious; however, sometimes it’s tough to find the category that best fits your business. Check what your competitors are using by doing a Google search for the keywords you want to show up for and see what they list as their primary category.
- Get more reviews on Google – Websites with more Google reviews are likely to rank higher. Use ReviewShepherd to get more reviews than any of your competitors have.
- Get more reviews on other websites – Getting reviews on sites like Facebook, Yelp, TrustPilot and other sites like that is extremely important too. It’s going to look unnatural to Google if you have 100 reviews there and none anywhere else.
- Optimize your website – Make sure that your website is SEO friendly/ completely optimized for your target terms. If you don’t know how to do this, get a qualified SEO company to do it for you.
- Have a prominent social media presence – This is a factor in Google’s algorithm. Make sure that you’re posting regularly and have a bunch of likes/ followers on the major social networks.
- Make sure that you have a legitimate office – If you have your Google Maps listing confirmed at your house, or at a virtual office, you’re going to have a really difficult time showing up. Make sure that you have a legitimate office with a sign that displays your company name out front.
- Post photos of your office to the Google profile – Make sure to get at least one of the sign out front.
- Get high quality links to your actual website – Another factor in Google algorithm. Get other websites to link to yours.
Another item to keep in mind, the location of your office is critically important in terms of where you show up in the search results. Not every user gets served the same search results – a user in one geographic location will get completely different results than a user in another location. Many companies have made the critical mistake of expecting to show up in one area (such as Dallas) when their maps listing is confirmed in another city (a suburb of Dallas such as Coppell or Plano). You’re going to show up most prominently in the areas right around your address.